Tuesday, August 19, 2008

DC November Solicits

I'm already on board for all the coordinated Superman books coming out this fall but I'm especially excited for the Guardian of Metropolis special. First of all, the solicit:

"New Krypton" part 3! At last! The true origin of the Guardian of Metropolis is revealed! Following directly on from last month's SUPERMAN'S PAL, JIMMY OLSEN SPECIAL #1, we learn the fantastic and sometimes terrible past of one of DC's most mysterious heroes. How did the first clone of the Golden Age Guardian come into existence at the hands of the Cadmus Project? We'll also introduce a mysterious young girl the Guardian has sworn to protect – even at the expense of the Cadmus Project, and, if need be, his very life!"

Jimmy Olsen! Heroic clones! Cadmus! There is nothing wrong in these concepts. But the aspect that really moves this comic into possible greatness--how exactly does this Guardian choose to protect the mysterious young girl?


(Click to enlarge)


By bringing her along as he roams around town and bursts into people's windows.

YES. I want to see more care taking along these lines. After all, the mysterious young girl is totally primed and ready for window breaking and face punching. It even looks like she has the proper shoes for butt kicking.

This cover better not be lying to me! I'm looking at you, Robinson. You too, Lopestri. Because next year I want a comic featuring Milagro Reyes, Mysterious Young Girl, and Hal Jordan's In-Continuity Niece and I want them fighting crime. Under Misfit's watch.

Other points of interest:

- The replacement trinity featured in the Trinity covers? Now that is a cool idea.

- Am I correct in assuming that the Power Girl series has been pushed back to next year so the creative team can release a Terra miniseries? Damn. I want my Power Girl ongoing! Screw Terra.

- I'd be a lot more interested in "Superman/Supergirl: Maelstrom" if the two Supers' positions were reversed on the cover. And if it made any sense to use New Gods right now. (It really doesn't.)

- I don't know what I'm looking forward to more: reading a Hal Jordan/Phantom Stranger team-up or reading The Absorbascon's comments on it. November seems a long way off.

- Lots of JSA. Whoooo!

- ...Green Lantern #36 is pushed back? So my only Geoff Johns GL fix in October will be the Red Lantern special? Boooo!

- The cover to Showcase Presents: Strange Adventures Vol. 1 is exactly why comics are superior to any other form of storytelling. Ever.

No comments: