Sunday, January 27, 2008

Not the weekend I expected.

Friday night I made it about half a mile down the road from my workplace when I got a flat tire and had to get my car into the nearest parking lot. With a cell-phone on its last power notch and the only person answering their phone being my sister stuck at home with sick babies and a bracing Michigan winter wonderland temperature, I called a cab to get me home for the night until I could muster up assistance.

Saturday morning I drove to the parking lot with my mother to meet a tow truck and the driver informed us as soon as we got there, "Yeah, your car was broken into." Staring into my poor, violated vehicle and seeing glass all over the floor and seats, the door handle broken off, and my trusty radio/cd player gone made me realize how events like that seem so common place until they happen to you. When I left my vehicle there I made sure to grab all my personal information out of the glove box as well my cd cases so they only got the radio. Of course, I realized later that the thief(s) also got the complementary Spider-Man 3 soundtrack inside it.

I did have a few boxes of books inside my car but they were mostly penguin classics and literary stuff--not the type of thing to pawn off for big money--so they were still in my car after the theft. However, in driving my car home from the repair shop I took it to, I realized that the box I kept on the backseat floor was gone, gone, gone. Inside had been the entire Brian Michael Bendis run of Daredevil in trade. And you know what? It's not funny that in rummaging through all the stuff in my vehicle they only took my cd player and a box of comics.

IT'S HILARIOUS.

I had such a giggle fit after I realized those books were stolen. It was very cathartic. Because, fortunately, the only reason they were in my car was because I planned to sell them as soon I got off my lazy butt and into a bookstore and/or ebay listing. I hope whoever took them took them to read. And I hope they suffer. Flipping hundreds of pages ahead, wondering when Daredevil is going to show up again in his own comic. Asking themselves, "Demon baby? In my Daredevil comic?" (It's more likely than you think.) Waiting in excitement as a Daredevil-Black Widow team up races to the exciting climax of...standing in a bath towel and speaking French for no reason argggggghhhh.

Congratulations, Bendis! Judging by the recent plots spawning in New Avengers, I can tell you know your readership well.

2 comments:

Gloria said...

And I hope they suffer. Flipping hundreds of pages ahead, wondering when Daredevil is going to show up again in his own comic. Asking themselves, "Demon baby? In my Daredevil comic?"
RMLAO!

One friend of mine once got his car robbed. The burglar(s?) just took some music tapes he had. The poor guy was annoyed because, well, those tapes were his favourite music (that's why he had them at the car: to drive with pleasure). I hate those petty crimes... yes, no-one's dead as a consequence, but they often give more grief to the victim than joy to the criminal. It's just so unbalanced!

Yes, I hope they suffer XD

Riddering said...

What is it with music in vehicles? Is there a siren song calling to thieves on some pitch we owners can't hear? *shakes head* How silly of them to have only stolen your friends tapes.

Every time I get in my vehicle now and realize that I can't turn the radio on, I hope my anguish is sending some jolt of pain into the mind of whoever broke into my car. Justice must be served, even if it's accomplished in my imagination. *g*