Monday, January 14, 2008

Nicola Scott's art being the cherry on top, of course.

I was dithering on the subject of Birds of Prey and whether or not it would stay in my pull list when Newsarama.com released previews for this week and, eureka! This issue opens with Manhunter again working with Oracle, specifically: kicking butt on the streets for information. That's all it takes for me to feel excited about a book.

What I've liked so much about BoP since the one-year-later jump is the larger number of characters who are involved in Oracle's operation. Of course, I always enjoyed the Babs and Dinah show as well as the addition of Huntress and later Zinda--and Gail Simone excelled at rounding out the cast with other heroes and villains and in-betweeners. But it was really exciting once Oracle sent out those invitations and the story didn't tell us exactly who we could expect until they showed up to join the party. For example, when Hawkgirl swooped in and smashed off the Secret Six's roof with her mace? I had to rock myself back and forth to eject some of the glee that was threatening to rip my body apart--and with it, the very fabric of reality. Shockingly enough, when I read that issue I didn't know Kendra from Kamandi. Such is the power of this title.

So I am really glad to see that Sean McKeever is picking up on that aspect of the post-Dinah Birds, since it makes the title more exciting and offers more opportunities for diversity in the cast. It's obvious, too, that McKeever's been doing his research on the heroines of the DCU. This month Onyx and Dr. Light, in February....the world! (Meanwhile, wouldn't it be fun if Gypsy joined Manhunter's supporting cast? I really enjoyed their partnership when Kate commandeered Oracle's operation for Mr. Bones. So, just as soon as Manhunter comes back...any day now...when new solicits are released...April? May? 2009? Bueller?)

No comments: